Wednesday, July 04, 2007

The noise from MTV Generation

During the offsite last weekend the facilitator, an Angmoh, mentioned about the new generation which he termed as the MTV Generation. He said these are the youngsters who are outspoken and are able to air their views readily. Noting that my friend and I were the youngest in the group (other than our bubbly and opinionated Susan H), he warned us of being caught up by the MTV Generation since we both are more soft-spoken.

This I can’t agree more and have identified with since I stepped into the working world. It’s a man-eat-man environment and if you cannot project yourself clear and loud, you won’t stand out in the crowd. Often, it’s all about showcasing your results (or what you portrayed as results) and getting more exposure to Management. There were points in my work life when the outspoken issue perturbed me but I’ve since learnt to be true to myself. Not everything needs to be shown through words alone.

Besides, although the MTV Generation can convey their opinions very well and speak with flair, their usual conversing demeanor could disgrace themselves somewhat. Yesterday there was this ger around 20 years old beside me on the bus, chattering away non-stop on her mobile phone. Her sentences were accented with high-pitched tones and some breathlessness (or perhaps it’s my breathlessness hearing her speak; I couldn’t tell). If I were the conversation partner on the other end, I could simply shut my ears out and utter uh-huh every now and then and this ger wouldn’t even know I’m not listening.

I find her case is not isolated. Young ladies these days talk like no end and gabber much rubbish. How are the ears to take it?

No comments: