Sunday, September 03, 2006

Customer Service

The government is promoting customer service levels in Singapore, pushing our standards higher and trying to brand our nation as a world-class place for both Singapore citizens and foreigners to live in.

Of course, this is a good move; in fact it is one long-awaited. All along, most of our customer service staff lack the etiquette and the courtesy towards customers. You can go into a shop expecting all kinds of treatment – from passionate hospitality to ice-cold treatment.

Having served by our usual customer service staff, I have learnt to manage my expectations and try to bear with lousy service most of the time, although I still frown at super slow cashiers behind the counter. After the recent movement to promote good service, I’m gradually raising my bar for good service. Don’t tell me we are not bucking up especially when the directive comes from above!

End up now, I’m frowning more at slow service (reasonable ones are pardoned), sometimes even tempted to give a black face. I wonder: are we raising our expectations given the recent highlight to up the service standards? Or are the improvements catching up too slow? Perhaps we’ll be able to better tolerate the current standards if we leave it as is.

Meanwhile, I’ll still be turning my pleasant face away from the ones whose service leaves much to be desired. But of course, everything goes both ways. Customers have to start first by being courteous and friendly to the service staff. As the phrase goes, everything starts with a smile!

No comments: