Saturday, December 08, 2007

Es war eine wunderbar Tag! (It was a wonderful day!)

Took leave yesterday (Friday) to do the things I like. Yippie!

I woke up two hours later than usual, thus caught up on my beauty sleep. Went marketing with my parents and contributed to their marketing fund. It’s such a joy to give, especially to your loved ones. We – Apa, Ama and I – had breakfast together where one of their friends joined in too. They had a good chat on recent hot topics: HDB resale values, HBD sale deductions for CPF retirement account and about taking care of grandchildren. Though all these topics were quite distant for me, I was pleasantly listening to them and since I have no time pressure at all. Yippie!

I wanted to take the MRT to Phoon Huat confectionery at Geylang Lorong 23 but spent too much time on the computer that I missed the timing. So of course cab was the most convenient option. While lunching on my Nutri plus milk, I made my way to the 1st baking class of my life. (As a MEP student in Secondary school, I didn’t have to attend Home Economics class.)

There, we made 4 cup-sized desserts: tiramisu, mango mousse, crème brulee and cream caramel. The class size was around 30, with women ranging from 18 to 58 (wow!). There was a guy too, tagging with her girlfriend. But the guy seemed like interested too. We split into 3 groups, each with around 10 persons to a chef. In my group there were 4 young girls, likely from Poly. They were particularly friendly and made themselves very much at home, especially with one being very enthusiastic in getting hands-on. She might well be the baker in the group! Not that I minded since I’m more a notes-taker, but those times she pushed me around (unlucky to be beside her) peeved me much. I guess some people don’t know basic courtesy.

At the end of the class, we were able to dapao the desserts back. Each had two cups of each of the four desserts. I went on the buy $35+ worth of X’mas Fruit Cake ingredients. Happily hugged onto my stuff and flagged a cab home.

Afternoon back at home was spent mainly on fruitcake baking preparations. Mixing the flour, mixed fruits, almonds, eggs, butter and essences. Beating the mixture. Quite simple, but as the ingredients spanned up to 20 different ones, I spent close to two hours getting the mixture done, just ready for baking in the oven. However, I didn’t want to let the lousy oven at my house spoil the efforts and thus brought the whole tin of mixture to WW’s place to bake.

The way to WW’s house was a little long (around an hour) but was relaxing. I had to walk about 20 mins, 10 from my house to the bus stop and another 10 from bus stop to WW’s house, and sit in the bus for about 45 mins. Given usual days, I would have taken a cab but it would have been my 3rd cab in the same day. Plus the weather was cooling and I didn’t have the chance to run yesterday.

WW’s colleagues were at his place for mahjong, drinks and simply hanging out. By the time I reached, most of them were nua-ing. After an hour plus, it was time to go home and also the time my cake would be done. However, even after all his friends left, the cake was still moist in the insides though it had been baked for the past hour plus. I thought it would fail. But good thing another 50 mins of higher heat salvaged my efforts and it made a delicious fruitcake after all!

Now I can’t wait for tomorrow morning to try the real taste, after it cools. If successful, I will bake more for family, friends and colleagues!

1 comment:

Stephie said...

The fruit cake sounds absolutely yummy!!!!! I can't wait to taste it!!!!