Sunday, December 02, 2007

Shaped

When I was just back from NYC about a month ago, I was thinking of having an easier life. Taking things at a more relaxed pace, slowing down to appreciate the finer details around us. That includes adopting a more laid-back approach to work, especially since I've been placed in two teams since April.

However, after slightly more than a month since the return and after soaking in the Singaporean culture again, I'm beginning to feel the KS mentality. Need to pia in work, do my best to exceed expectations and strive to be the best among the rest. (Though I know that can't be done. How to be the best out of such an elitist society?) Work hard (and smart) for a big increment and a fat bonus next year and to own that big car some five years down the road. Go to fancy restaurants, dress up stylishly and own the latest gadget. See what this society does to you?

Then we neglected the poorer ones, surviving on tight-string budget and not having the luxury to enjoy the more-than-little entertainment in life. The forgotten ones living in their world, having a totally different set of worries and priorities. How can we reach out to them? How can they ever break out of the poverty cycle?

I suppose the world is too complex for our complete understanding. I'm just glad I have a relatively simple life to deal with. Simple wants, simple aims.

1 comment:

Stephie said...

No worries girl. I had the exact same sentiments when I returned from Hawaii. Unfortunately, a simpler life just ain't gona happen for me for some time...heheh.