Sunday, January 15, 2006

I do things for you, but what do I get back?

So much for helping do the marketing every Sunday morning, tagging the bulky trolley basket behind me and squeezing with the crowds of aunties and fishmongers and all. I was still telling myself how nice it is to go “shop” around in the neighbourhood every week, easing my parents’ burden of buying fish, meat and vegetables. But when I came home with the load of groceries, I get only complaints, first from my mum then from my dad.

They asked me to buy a 黄白 (can you tell what the heck this is??), which appears to be a kind of Beijing cabbage. I told them I am not sure if I can get the right one, since there are so many varieties of white cabbage in the supermarket. Then they described it as whitish-yellow, oval-shaped like an egg but wth, don’t all cabbages look like that? So in the end I still got it wrong, and had to listen to their grumbles. I countered Apa saying every Sunday there are so many people downstairs in the neighbourhood, I have to squeeze through the crowds and bear with the waiting time at each stall. Sometimes Ama wants to get a lot of stuff k. Pork ribs, braised duck, vegetables, fish, chicken, fried bee hoon… can you imagine the agony of visiting these stalls one by one and waiting at each, while my empty stomach growls loudly away?

Then Apa said I could have gone to the market earlier in the morning, rather than at 9 plus am. Come on, I need my precious beauty sleep during the weekends, the only time I can catch up on my neglected sleep! He is super insensitive and inconsiderate. I help them with household chores every weekend, yet they take it for granted. I could have just gone out the whole weekend, not iron the clothes, vacuum the floor, do marketing and sometimes accompany them to NTUC. Sometimes I wonder why I should bother this much while my brother is treated like a prince.

So, it’s time to set my priorities right. Time is precious and I don’t want to waste it doing things I don’t get appreciated for or even get blamed for.

1 comment:

nottotian said...

copy me la

stay out during wkends :p