Monday, January 23, 2006

Some weekends round-up

Blur me left my mobile phone at home today. The first emotion I felt when realising my forgetfulness was a sense of handicap. I have no means of connection today! But it may be a good thing after all without this dependence on the handphone to fiddle my fingers on in the MRT or to check for sms every now and then. Hmm, but how forgetful can I get. This is the first time!

Saturday I was free for the day, thus went to IMH (Institute of Mental Health) with Sher for volunteer work. The work itself wasn't that much, just playing games and accompanying the folks there, and it was pretty relaxing and mind-easing. We visited a ward of middle-aged men who have schizophrenia at their rest & relax room, but from what I see they are an okay bunch of people. There were two or three sleeping on the floors, and a handful being with themselves and not interacting much. But on the other hand, there were those who are friendly to us bunch of volunteers and some of them are really smart in their own ways. There's James who is damn good in chinese chess and dumb (he ate three of my seeds in one go!); Alini who draws so well, I think he has a special talent for minute things and he wanted one of my dangling earrings which I gave to him; Francis who reads the chinese papers and is so street-wise, knowing all the areas in Singapore; and Joseph who plays good 3D tic-tac-toe. Rather impressive.

In general, it's more a fun session with them rather than putting in hard work trying to do manual and dirty work. Although we may have to put in more concentration in understanding some of their words, in all it is still relaxing on the mind. Those folks have no ulterior motive and you don't have to put on guards against them like how you would against your colleagues or some peers. Thinking of going there again!

Also happy that Apa Ama agreed to have dinner out last night, at the coffeeshop downstairs. The only thing that peeved us was the extremely long waiting time - around an hour! The zhu chao business is good, yes, but they shouldn't let customers wait to damn long. We heard people cancelling orders.. must have be filled up with anger in their stomaches to eat their main meal. Next time we'll really consider hard if to eat there again. But nevertheless, all members of the Wong family were able to have dinner together today! Happy.

No comments: