Sunday, February 12, 2006

等待是甜蜜的

Quite a terrifying comic with people running out of paper. Scary! But yep, all the commotion about the Danish publishing of the comics is not that much warranted, in my opinion.

Material Possessions
When we advance in age and, for most, status, there is an increased desire to own more prized objects with heavy price-tags. However, if not kept in check, this burning desire will fuel off too ferociously that by the time we realise something's wrong, our pockets could have already been burnt off.

Being born in a relatively humble family, I was taught since young to be thrifty and question myself everytime before buying a big item. I remember how my dad used to scold us when we bought stuff he felt unnecessary and complained how expensive it was. Those were the days when our parents had to scrimp and save for our education, but of coz young us didn't know it and thought they were just very niao. But good saving habits have rubbed its effect on me. Now I think twice before buying expensive stuff, and still am unwilling to pamper myself with designer and branded goods.

Recently me been beo-ing Nokia N70 phone, rummaging through the many newspaper advertisements during weekends for the best M1 deal. But thinking this amount could potentially set me back financially, I've decided to stall and wait. Imagine everytime it's a few hundred bucks desire that I conquer, a few thousands would just vanish soon. (And I want to have that excess savings to splurge on my man ;) )

Then, seeing the people around me getting the thing I want so easily (Tian got N70 as a gift from her Henry Love, WW's sis bought N70 a few days ago), can't help but feel I still lack that purchasing power. So what if I'm a while-collared worker now? There are still so many restrictions. And this somewhat-low pay is alluring me to be envious of my friends who can afford Gucci and LV bags easily. But nah, I like this feeling of anticipation, of having the suspended desire to possess, before claiming this object as mine. The satisfaction of obtaining (and owning!) something and the lengthened euphoria then makes the object more precious.

Thou shall not be greedy! (But would be good if my pay can double...)

No comments: