Friday, August 04, 2006

I must find back my big words; let's start with: Passion

Tomorrow’s Friday, the last day of the work week, thus the excuse for sleeping late tonight. Really miss the days of late nights and afternoon naps!

I used to express my views on big topics like adult responsibilities, balance between heart and mind, liberation, and similar philosophical matters. I seem to have lost this touch after starting work two years ago.

It’s true. Breaks in between work serve a big purpose – the rest of mind and heart. I was at an IT Service Management conference with my supervisor and another senior-rank colleague for the past two days, and had the space to think of other issues though I was also listening to the presenters.

Passion – How to find it?
People these days, in my opinion, lack passion in the things they do. Or perhaps I’m not exposed to passionate people in my scope of life so far.

Ask those around you if they really live for their work, live for their dreams, many will tell you it’s simply a survival life game. Some may strive hard in their work, but for what, you ask them yet they can’t tell you exactly what for. Job satisfaction? That’s a long-dated word which appears more on my final-year thesis than my two years of work.

So, I’m secretly happy to see the split on the career line at the middle of my palm (I believe in palmistry) which signifies a change of career or dual-career sometime down the road. Do I have a passion in working in the IT line? Honestly how many young ladies would tell you they have? (Here there is a distinction between genders as I truly believe guys, in general, have more genuine interest in technical systems and equipments than ladies do.) Consolation is that my job role is more a people- and process-oriented one, which allows me to deal with other technology folks and the business users.

So what is my passion? I can’t answer that.

I know I like talking to people, listening to their woes and providing them with golden advice, though I may still be a thousand miles away from being a guru. Thus becoming a psychologist could be one future route. But that takes more than interest; you need excellent academic results, superb communication skills and an iron-strong will not to bend under dire situations and negative influence.

I think making, baking and selling European-styled bread rolls and loaves are interesting activities that may fetch some income, but where businesses or new entrepreneurships are concerned, there often is more to lose than gain. At one point I’ve seriously thought it could work out – opening a niche bakery just for the expatriates and for those who truly know how to appreciate authentic European bread. Perhaps I should make my career goal being the raising of sufficient capital, then fly over to Europe for a year to explore and pick up skills.

At the end of the day, I’ll come back to square one, sit at my desk in front of the PC and start dealing with work pieces that come one after another, on top of each other.

Sometimes this way of working can get so immunising! And I’ll miss the sun so badly on some days, being able to see the sunny scenery (if I turn my head) but not able to feel the sun.

To start counting down? More wants!
Counting down to bonus day. Judging from the record profits last FY, we should be expecting our bonus end this month. Since the last update, there have not been many new items surfacing in Want-List, except for:


- Laptop, preferably a pretty pearl-white one coz I’m vain ($4k)

Old list:
- Omega watch ($3k) or lower-end watch ($300)
x Make-up course ($300+) --> don't want anymore
- Hand bag for work ($200)
- Fabulous meal with WW ($150)
- Treat for dear sister and family ($150)
- Diamond earrings ($200)

Maybe, if I feel like it
- New wallet ($80)

KL Rat Race
They roped me in for this run in Kuala Lumpur, representing a team from my company for this charity run organised by Bursa Malaysia. But I’m no marathon or any simple run material! Greenhorn. Plus the daunting terrain is scaring me off even before I set foot on KL lands. But still wish me luck! Hopefully CEO will remember those who go for the run and award us with more!

Ok, time to sleep. Will be merry-ing away for the next two days and hopefully able to catch some fireworks over the weekend. Happy weekends! Lulalalala!

1 comment:

nottotian said...

sure u want to buy a pearly white laptop that costs 4k?!