Sunday, June 11, 2006

Test of Integrity

Would you try to sneak out a pair of new shoes, both pieces of different sizes out of the shoe shop?

Under the encouragement of WW, I did that yesterday! To suit my feet of different sizes, I have to wear a bigger-sized shoe on my left foot, which means almost all the time I have to either squeeze the left foot or let my right one go unbound and dangling. When trying on the new pair of heels yesterday, one of us (can’t remember who) suggested mixing a pair with a right-side shoe size 36 and a left-side 37 together for purchase. As the saleslady took two pairs of shoes of both sizes for trying, I simply returned the pairs mixed up and told the cashier I wanted one of them. She took the pair, turned them around to check the size, confirmed with me if I wanted size 37 and packed them in the shoebox, without realising the jumble. We went out of the shop somewhat happily, not quite believing our luck of not being found out.

Which is a bad thing to do actually, haha. No integrity!

I suppose WW wanted to challenge my daringness at first, and to see if we really could get away with the mischief. Or maybe not playfulness only, as it would have been nice to have shoes that fit nicely thus we could have been serious about it. But honest me still went back to the shop after 10 minutes, claiming a mix-up. It was another lady we approached, who apparently was quite shocked that such a thing had happened. She told us the consequences, that the saleslady who did the hoo-ha had to pay for the pair, and might get a scolding. Quite jialat!

Heng ah. Both of us had an easier time after that, guilt-free and somewhat proud that we still have that sense of integrity in us. Heh~

No comments: