Wednesday, July 20, 2005

I'm so focused! (hmm, on work)

It has been a long day!

I'm here taking my well-deserved break, waiting for knock-off time to go home for a jog. Totally brain-dead now and can't absorb anything anymore. I am amazed at my own ability to concentrate on work full eight hours a day. Superwoman me!

Yesterday's lunch was on my boss at Chinese Swimming Club. We went there to check out the function room I've booked for an offsite. It was weird that he didn't want another colleague, who is involved in the offsite planning, to come along. When I asked him in the morning "Should we get XX along as well?", he did not reply me instantly but went over to XX instead, telling him "I need by this afternoon, could you finish it up?". Then, he turned to me and told me something like "Never mind, you come along can already." Strange, huh. Suspectingly, I feel he doesn't quite value XX and at times, I could even hear him demanding work from him. My other colleagues in the department told me that is his "pattern", to have unreasonable demands and very tight deadlines at times. Well, I haven't really gotten the flavour of it yet, but I won't want to try. And somehow, I feel he treats me a little nicer either because I'm a female (hmm, CKP?) or that the management knows me. If I let it to my head, it could really make me feel somewhat superior. But in reality, there are tons to achieve as people's expectations are way higher.
I realize I don't have much patience with colleagues who pick things up too slowly, especially when they start asking seemingly stupid questions. I suppose in a fast-paced society there is no room for errors, no room for slowness and everyone is competent in their own ways. People who has no special skills or can't pick up things fast will get eliminated in this man-eat-man corporate world. If I were a boss, I will definitely be kicking incompetent people out of the company. That is mean, but that is how things work in the corporate, profit-oriented world. We need effciency, and an extremely high level of it.


Hmm, after talking so much about corporate stuff, it's time to wind down and go home for a good rest. Off to jogging at my friendly neighbourhood park!

No comments: