Thursday, October 20, 2005

The BFG

Well people like to read crap, therefore I try to write crap. True? Nah. I don’t blog for the sake of capturing an audience, though sometimes I blog because I like the outlook of my blog site.

Last night I was lying on my brother’s bed reading Roald Dahl’s The BFG, trying to grasp his life’s principles amid the seemingly childish contents. Don’t think I’m being a kiddy reading a children’s book ok, for Roald Dahl has a way of putting his skeptics and criticisms across in a harmless way. It’s interesting to do a re-read of the books I once placed as my top favourites, during my Primary school days. For example, in The BFG, the nine humongous beings in their Giantland ate human beings (the only kind one, named BFG, called them human beans). The kind giant paralleled the eating of human beings to us eating piggies and other animals. He also stated that we human beings are crueler than them in that we kill each other, while giants don’t kill their own kind. Furthermore, human beings set our own rules and accept no others, like how we reject absurd things as impossible. It was also funny how he paired up humans from various countries with their unique smells and tastes, such as the Englishmen tasting the most delicious and those from a certain country (can’t remember what, but the country name is linked with boots) having a booty taste. Quite corny.

Haha, so, if the BFG proves its worth, I’ll go buy the whole series ($80+)!

For now, I’m preparing to run off.. to Suntec for shopping!

1 comment:

b.muse said...

Yea RD can provide pretty interesting insights indeed! Realised that when I re-read Charlie & the Choc Factory - an enlightening experience cos there was so much that I had not been able to appreciate when reading it in Pri Sch. My fav is Matilda! =)
Tink it'll b a good investment to buy cos everytime u read it will prob find new meaning. :)