Monday, October 24, 2005

Bull Run

Nah. I should be doing work now but I don’t care. This morning at 9:05, my female supervisor came over to set the target for the week. This is good, I know, but I need a little space especially on this blue Monday morning. That’s why I feel female bosses can’t beat male bosses; the females drive you up the path they want without caring a hoot on how you feel.

So far haven’t gotten a chance to update on last Friday’s Bull Run! It was fun!! I got to run competitively and as a team with three other guys from Data Centre. The last time I ran competitively was in JC times; very long ago (some six years ago..?!). Competitive running is very different from normal joggings; you have to cheong all the way and not let others overtake you.

Although it was a short distance of 3.2km for Bull Run, the run wasn’t easy. We had to don the company’s attire for Bull Run and wear on us heavy red jackets while running down the roads. Quite tiring! Luckily my team relay members were protective and took good care of me, their only female team mate. They squeezed out a space right in front of the pack at the starting point for me, gave me tips on how to outrun the rest and one of them even pulled my hand along when we started off, fearing I might be “trampled down” by the main pack behind.

Somewhere along the 500m distance, Jackie Chan was there beside the road cheering us on. He’s quite a motivation, spurring all of us to go faster than our usual paces. (We just didn’t want to get caught on the TV strolling away.) Come the half-way point, I was feeling heated up with the Red Bull boiling in my tummy. Dunno whether it’s regret I felt then, for daringly trying some energy-boosting drink I’ve never tried before. But I suppose it did give me some strength in my legs to last all the way. The other half of the run back to the Padang (our starting cum finishing point) was not too bad. At one point I overtook our CEO and muttered “Mr XX, go on!” when I passed by him. Wahaha. Dunno how he felt then. Maybe he noted down my bib no. to add in his no-promotion-next-year blacklist. Oh no.

Yeah. I enjoy the run so much that I’m thinking of joining marathons. But Tian told me it’s hard to wake up so early in the morning (marathon flag-offs are typically at 630am or 7am) and you don’t get to run with a team of people you know. Maybe the only consolation is your strong will to finish the whole distance and the pride from wearing their t-shirts during future jogs.

No comments: