Thursday, October 27, 2005

Breaking out of your comfort zone

Nowadays I prefer having lunch with people I’m really comfortable with. They include (i) my working buddies Eden & Judy; (ii) IA colleagues (the whole gang); (iii) the new batch of scholars; and of course (iv) my dear sister if she happens to be in CBD. I’m still trying to get used to having lunch with my new colleague. It feels weird having to relax and enjoy the meal with her, but later have to be back in the office bugging each other on work matters. I still have this feeling I work better with male bosses. With the rest of my department’s colleagues (only four of them have more regular lunches together), I feel at ease and in fact, quite enjoy being with them. However, one of them is fasting for this Ramadan period and thus the four of us in the group goes out with our different lunch kakis more this month. Looking forward to having lunch as a small team again after
Hari Raya Puasa, which means my Malay colleague can jio and gather us for regular lunches, despite having to frequent Banquet food courts much more often.

I feel it hard to break out of my comfort zone. Even a simple thing like eating with certain lunch groups can make me feel the difference between doing something in my comfort zone and something out of it. Now after getting used to the current way of life, there will definitely be a certain extent of resistance when faced with new or possible changes. I like the routine of certain activities such as jogging once a week to Esplanade, having my breakfast downstairs twice a week, meeting dear WW every Saturday and even eating my waffles every Sunday morning. Can’t imagine how it will be next time if something turns my life “upside down” (like being posted to overseas for work?) and robs me of my little pleasures. But we can’t get stuck in present state of life for too long and get stagnant in it, coz the adage stands: The only permanent thing in life is Change.

Beer Burning in Belly

Today too, I met up with two friends, one of them I haven’t met for about two years. These two rich girls, Joan and Rachell (Fang Qi), have no airs but full of sincerity, thus me poor girl feel very comfortable with them. We had Belgium food at Ooster restaurant at Far East Square; quite a novelty especially when my lunches are usually at food courts or hawker centres. But spending $30 for a short meal (I had to rush back for a meeting at 2pm) was a little too lavish. Poor me so poor. But hey, I was introduced to the fruity non-alcoholic-tasting raspberry beer imported from Belgian! How exclusive can it get!

Oh a side-note: drinking beer before a meal whets up your appetite! During lunch today, I had my first try at drinking beer in the day. And Boy, was I feeling famished after my main course! What’s more, the volume I consumed with so little, at most 100ml.

Dream Car

WW’s parents own my Dream Car of 2003 now! Honda Civic! Yesh yesh, that was my dream car for quite a while and now I still dream of owning a Honda. The power and the vroom… oh unbeatable. I picture myself stepping on my accelerator, speeding ahead the rest of the pack at the traffic light, even cutting between cars on the expressways. Oops, can’t let WW see this coz he promotes peace on the roads, with the mentality that everyone has only one goal to achieve while on the roads – to reach home smoothly for a good rest. Yeah, my man has the biggest heart and the most forgiving nature. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You can do 'speeding' in UK but not in Singapore! Don't ganna caught by my dad then! :D