Tuesday, October 25, 2005

My Double Saturdays

These few weeks I can’t help have the feeling that Sundays are wasted without going out or doing something meaningful. Perhaps it’s because weekends are so short and Mondays always seem so blue. We should treat Sundays like Saturdays and cheong as we would on a Saturday (except maybe to save the Sunday nights for ironing clothes). Life’s too short.

Now on a Sunday evening, the blues are starting to trickle in. But looking back at the two “Saturdays” that are about to pass by (I have only the evening left to iron my clothes!), there is less reason to feel blue, coz I’ve had a good time generally.

Saturday
Saturday I didn’t quite “cheong”, but spent time in a relaxing way starting with breakfast with WW and his family at Bukit Timah Food Centre. We had kway chap, which wasn’t quite my favourite but I’ve learnt to adapt. :) WW and his family were singing praises for the kway chap, while I was there trying to finish the small bowl in front of me. But hey, I wasn’t thinking of how sinful the meal was, and was eating merrily away. I just don’t have the habit of eating so much for breakfast.. yet.

The afternoon was spent at WW”s place. Both he and his sister were taking their naps while I diligently did some work at the balcony, soaking in the afternoon sun. The weather was perfect for napping; thus I understand why both of them slept their 3 hours away! After that we had our tea break at his living room area, sipping milo and hot teh and eating toasted bread. It’s like going back to those old days in University while we just got to know each other.

WW and I settled dinner at Bedok Blk 85 Food Centre aka Bak Cuo Mee place. MAN is hooked onto the Bak Cuo Mee there! Plus they have BBQ chicken wings done almost perfect, yummy “or nua” and lots more delicious food.

Sunday
Oh today’s quite a happening day! Our family, except Shou Bi who had to work, went to Bedok Reservoir to catch HSBC’s Wakeboard Competition. Quite an eye-opener and Tian was so smitten by the wakeboarders that she wanted to take up wakeboarding. Wahaha, kidding la, she’s more a watersports-lover than a wakeboarder-lover. The performances by the wakeboarders were fantastic, with some doing 360 degrees turn, some doing ballet dancing on the ski boards when being pushed along by the speed boat. There was also one performance by a group of 12, forming a four-tier pyramid on top of one another while they were on the waters. So superb! The feeling’s great too, bringing me back to those days in junior college when we attended such outdoor events. Somehow different activities are always linked back to those times when you most vividly remembered doing them, and doing the activity transports me back those previous dimensions. It’s like going back to old days, feeling the emotions of the past. It makes me forget I’m a white-collar worker now, and gives me the ever-carefree feeling.

Despite the happy merry day (in which I got a tan 2 shades darker!), there was a hiccup in the middle when I got really fed up and irritated. We were having late lunch at Bedok Hawker Centre and after the meal, Mama wanted to buy fried ikan bilis with peanuts from the muslim food stall. But the fatty bom bom woman there was slow, bochup and brainless. She used her hand, wrapped in a plastic bag, to scoop up a handful of peanuts. That was obviously not enough for my $1 purchase (what’s more, her hands are small) and she switched to using an oil-soaked tong to scoop my peanuts into the plastic bag, making it all oily. How brainless! I was getting all pissed up then, clutching my fists tight. My mum had to shout for me all the way from the other end at this untimely moment, making my blood boil more. She had decided to get the ikan bilis plus peanuts from another stall and wanted to tell me that. I was super duper fed up; firstly mad with that extremely lousy attitude of that fatty bom, secondly angry with mama’s indecisiveness.

I wonder how people can have such patience, being so tolerant towards slow service and lousy attitude. I can’t hold my irritation towards lousy service, especially at a crowded and noisy place. Perhaps my tendency to lose it is attributable to the fast pace I face at work; at work efficiency counts a lot.

No comments: