Thursday, December 29, 2005

Last few days of 2005

Time for a break. Pouring outside the office building now, which suits me just fine coz I had my 40-min run last evening with Beng See. Can’t imagine 2005 is left with only 2.5 days and 2006 is coming right in our faces. It’s very true that once you start working, your years will fly past just like that. 2000 doesn’t even sound very far to me.

I can’t seem to capture the magical feeling of the Christmas season anymore these years. I remember how my sis and I, as kids, loved the cooling weather come year-end and spend our time watching Mickey Mouse Christmas cartoons on TV. We never had a Christmas tree erected in our house, and never thought much about celebrating the festive with relatives and friends, but the feeling is just there. In comparison, now as we stroll down Orchard Road, the lightings and decorations have no appeal at all. The log cakes, turkey and ham also induce no drool of mine. What remains to be appreciated, I feel, is the gathering of loved ones, friends and relatives. Perhaps also the gingerbread men cookies that we didn’t used to dare eat. Haha, used to think it quite cruel to chew off arms and legs of a gingery man.

With the recent meet-up with friends, I’ve got to know quite a fair bit of gossips and news. There are lotsa pieces of happy news – one of my gang of seven got engaged, one of my dearest friends at work is attached and a colleague is pregnant. On the other hand, there are surprising bits which make my friends and I realise how typical our lives are. Some people have the courage to venture into new fields, and even do things their peers never would. Kudos.

In the end, I still think I prefer a moderate and simple, yet happy life.

No comments: