Monday, December 05, 2005

Weekend Updates

I just can’t get down to doing work on a Monday morning, feeling so sleepy and wishing I were nuaing at home. Last week was a sleep-deprived week, having slept at 2am on one night and 3am on two nights. So Saturday night I went to bed at 9pm, dozed all the way till 8am in the morning. Woohoo!

This morning upon rising up from bed, I thought of the word “breakfast”. Why do they call our morning meal “breakfast” instead of something like “breadfirst”? When we pronounce it, “breakfast” does sound like “breadfirst” and word-wise, the latter makes more sense. The former word reminds me of Muslims breaking their Ramadan fast. Unless the word-originator took sleeping as a long fast for our stomachs.

Last evening I was at Monterey Park with WW and his family, on invitation by WW’s sis and bro-in-law for their new house-warming. They booked a BBQ pit, beng-ganged some chicken wings, prawns, lamb chops, sausages, stingrays, sweet potatoes, satays, fishballs and otahs. On top of those, they ordered catered food of bee hoon and fruits. Quite a spread, as you can see. But lazy us were sitting at the food table, helping ourselves to the BBQ-ed food. Anyway, the BBQ pits were electronic – they had temperature control features and need no fire-starting. Cool. Besides eating and chatting up a little with relatives, the gang did not do much except to simply enjoy the breezy sunset winds. The sunset was splendid though; a pity I didn’t capture it on camera though I’ve brought it along.

On Saturday, it was shopping at Expo John Little Warehouse sale with Papa Mama. We set off, with Papa Mama on their wheelchairs and me on legs, to Expo by the MRT. Thanks to SMRT’s thoughtfulness (I give them the benefit of the doubt, despite previous news forum articles of complaints raised by the handicapped community), Apa and Ama were able to travel easily to places using the MRT. So I was with them as a companion, not as a caretaker as they are as independent as can be.

We had lunch at Ma Lan Ramen at Expo at 230pm, so late that I was hungry till the point of being unsatisfied despite having finished my bowl of ramen. But I felt happy treating my parents and making sure they enjoy themselves.

Then it was a 3-hours shopping trip that followed, which left me feeling drained (plus I slept 5 hours the day before) and with wobbly legs. But still very fulfilling as we bought a set of maroon bedlinen – comforter, bedsheets, pillow cases and bolster cases – all in satin! Woo, can sleep like a queen!

No comments: