Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Morning Musings

I’m bored at work! Too little work for me! Hmm, I had better not complain too much coz my team leader is coming in on the 3rd Oct, then will have read project to work on. Anyway, I’m happily reading reference books, and constantly thinking of how to pass time when my boss goes on holiday next week. I can’t possibly read all day right? I will fall asleep in no time.

Tmr evening is another party time with drinks and finger food at Mon Petit Pastry Bar, with around 24 people, including our internal business users and fellow teammates. Alcohol will be served – beer, wine and liquor. Slurp. Sometimes I think it fun to work in the frontline business, where you get to do entertainment and free-load on savoury treats in high-class restaurants. So far my boss has brought me to the restaurant at Chinese Swimming Club, Town restaurant (
http://www.fullertonhotel.com/en/dining/townrestaurant.html) at Fullerton Hotel and Neptune Theatre Restaurant, where I enjoy lavish food for no cost.

That brings me to a question – would you prefer working in the business frontline or at the backend? Some prefer having a party-wild group of colleagues, who are in actual fact, actors in their own regimes, while others prefer having down-to-earth colleagues who are more true to their fellow workmates. I still find it hard to juggle between the two choices – I value sincerity from fellow colleagues, but on the other hand, am not able to open up to them as I do to my friends outside the organization. Even though we see one another every working day (that’s a good five out of seven days in a week), there is an imminent lack of proximity in terms of spiritual contact. Often, the emotions shared would be more of a venting of resentment or unhappiness of one’s boss, spouse or friends. This is mistakenly known as the spiritual contact between colleagues, which I feel is kinda shallow and reflects no bonding between teammates. A better mode of communication would be through teambuilding activities, but honestly, how many of that can you hold for the department? In no time, everyone would get busy with their own work again and submerge in their own pile of activities. So, I actually would not mind having a group of more money- and market-driven colleagues to work with. Being kept on the toes while working is not such a bad thing, coz you mould yourself to be a sharper person after all.

No comments: