Tuesday, September 13, 2005

What do you have for breakfast every morning?

How about an apple to start the day with? That is what I do, munching an apple on most mornings and reading the papers at the same time. Then I would nibble on a piece of bread, sometimes on the bus if I couldn’t manage the time before leaving the house. These 140kcal of food won’t last me till lunch time, so I would supplement with biscuits, teh or soy milk. On some days, I grow sick of this regime and head for the coffeeshop downstairs for something more different. So, that would be tau sa pau with teh, or pumpkin kueh with soy milk at the coffeeshop that plays songs from the 60’s and sprays water vapours out from its fans. Previously it used to be TP, Shou Bi and I, but nowadays I have breakfast out alone.

I feel one’s breakfast choices do tell something about the person. My boss likes to have roti prata or roti boy (there is something similar in the two) for breakfast – not very healthy. Some of my colleagues buy soy milk with bean paste biscuits (tau sa piah) or bee hoon back to office. I won’t be able to tong that long for my breakfast; I get hungry the moment I wake up! Mama and Shou Bi do not usually eat breakfast when they are up. I wonder how they go about doing work with empty stomachs till lunchtime. It’s healthy and recommended to fill your tummy with nutritious intakes at the start of the day. Besides, it kick-starts your day with higher energy levels and boosts your metabolism.

Last time in Raffles Hall, we used to have a variety of food for breakfast. On Monday it used to be western – sausage, baked beans and bread; on Tuesday we had half-boiled eggs; Wednesdays it was pau (my favourite); Thursday porridge; Fridays.. I can’t remember. Though the meals were pretty routine and standard, I was quite happy with it. At least there were some days in the week when I looked forward very much to the food. And those were the days when we could laze around in the canteen in the afternoons after our lectures and tutorials, enjoying the tea break with egg tarts and teh. We could enjoy the rays of the evening sun, which were shining onto our faces giving us that joyful gleam. How I miss those days!

No comments: